Friday, April 17, 2009

Elder Turner Gets Ill, Takes a Spill

This past week has been rough on Elder Turner. First he came down with Malaria which is like a flu with all of those nasty symptoms but it lingers longer than a flu with loss of appetite and energy. He has been on the mend and taking it a little bit easy.

After spending a couple days in bed, we decided to go out. We parked the car near a shop of a lady named Agnus that we had been teaching. We wanted to stop and say hi to her. I wanted to go across the street to see a baby shop. Agnus warned us about the ditch. I was careful to find a spot to cross but I am not sure what Elder Turner did. After I jumped across and was heading across the street, I heard him call to me saying, "I fell in!" All I could see of him was from the waist up! He said, "My feet are stuck and my back hurts!" I just looked at him, wondering what to do next. He had started to jump across this little ditch but because the side was rounded, his foot slipped and went into the muck. His bottom hit the grassy ground, jarring his back.

Before I could even blink, Agnus and another young man were trying to pull him out. I heard him cry out about his back and that his feet were stuck. So they pulled on his legs and then went back to pull him out by his arms but as he stood up again, his feet sank back into the muck. This pulling and tugging went on until each of them grabbed a leg and an arm at the same time and pulled him out!

Agnus immediately got a bucket of water and a bottle of soap and went to work washing the dirt off his hands. Then she slopped the water on his pants and feet to rinse off the muck. This ditch catches rain water, waste water, people water and all kinds of trash. It was truly black muck! Agnus was so sweet and showed such concern for him as did this other man,a stranger, that came to our aid. I have a new found respect and love for Agnus!



(This is the ditch where Elder Turner slipped and also the spot where Agnus cleaned him up. You can see the water and the dirt she washed off of his shoes.)

We went home to really get cleaned up. Elder Turner hopped in the shower while I took his clothes and shoes outside to finish cleaning them off. The sister missionaries were outside and one sister came to my aide and and scrubbed his shoes with soap and water and rinsed out his muddy socks and his pants. She was doing her wash so she just threw his in with hers! She said,"I want to do this for you."

There was nothing broken in Elder Turner's back but he is sure sore and it is hard for him to get in and out of bed and up and down from chairs. Tomorrow will be the third day since he fell and I sure hope that his muscles relax and he starts getting better. We have people to see, places to go, and piano lessons to teach. But he is still hurting...maybe tomorrow.

--Sister Turner

4 comments:

Kara said...

Poor Daddy! But really, aren't you a bit old to be playing in the mud? ;) Hope you're all better soon! XOXO

Charles Edwin Shipp said...

Karma and Frank, Remember the time before a concert you were directing for Southern California Mormon Choir and I gave you a measure of Silver Solution?
I'm sending in a separate eMail about Congressional Testimony about curing Malaria (using an ounce a day of silver solution) in Africa ... in a week!Charlie & Lynnette
MacFamily@AOL.com and CharlieShipp@AOL.com

Unknown said...

Hi Frank & Karma:

Gosh, Frank you are fading away, how is your blood sugar, with all this weight loss you should be able to get off medication. Lucky you. I have just started in on insulin as well as my oral meds. I keep dreaming that I will lose weight and get off all my drugs.

We will be great grandparents at the end of the month, Lisa and Craig are adopting a little baby boy due the end of the month. They have decided to call him Harris Tapuaki mei langi Thompson. His middle name means blessing from Heaven in Tongan. I swear I didn't have anything to do with it. I don't know who put them up to it.

We sure love you two munchkins, we hope that you get to healing Frank. Tell the locals to kill the fatted pig for you and feed you up. Tell those Tongans' to behave and who taught you about running away to the bush? That is soo Tongan. Tongan's will always bring a smile to your face.

Much love,
Your Polynesian Beauty

Rosemary Pollock said...

Dear Elder and Sister Turner,
Kent and I wish you a healthy and happy New Year. We are so proud of you and all you are doing to serve the Lord. It looks like you are having great success and yes good comes out of adversity! We love you and admire your service. The people there are so lucky to have you. We look forward to your return and all the wonderful stories.
Love,

Kent and Rosemary Pollock