Friday, April 17, 2009

April Shower Brings Restful Hours


(Looking out from our front door)

The sky above our house was just as the sky would normally be in the early afternoon--clear, with the air being very warm and humid. It was quiet, a little too quiet. I noticed that the birds were not making their usual chatter. I walked out into the yard and noticed the horizon to the east of us. It was very dark. There was a storm brewing. I took a few pictures and didn't think much more of it. I continued on with the duties of cleaning house, not paying too much attention to what was happening outside. All of the sudden, a huge clap of thunder announced that the storm was now right overhead!


(Looking over the house to the side of our house)


(This is the driveway and gate to the apartment behind us where the sister missionaries live. Notice how the electricity wires cross over each other!)

This was no "small, small" storm as they say here. The rain started and soon it was pouring. There was lightning and thunder all around. The electricity went off (but that happens on a regular basis whether it is raining or not). Cape Coast got a bath and best of all, it was cool! We actually slept with the air conditioner off and the spread over us all night.


This morning the house is cool and outside is cool and beautiful as the dust has been washed off the leaves of the plants and trees. The birds are singing as the sun is working its way upward. The chicken that flew into our yard yesterday and spent her time running from bush to bush in the rain is happy and announced that she has laid an egg somewhere! Either that or else she is just crowing to find a way out of our yard! I have not been this cool and COMFORTABLE in a long time. Yes, today Cape Coast, Ghana is beautiful. I can even hear the roar of the ocean this morning.

--Sister Turner

No comments: