Out of adversity good things often come. In late July of
this year our home was broken into and our laptop computer
and other items were stolen. From a group of neighbors
assembled at our gate later that day, a young man in his
twenties stepped forth and offered his assistance
translating Fanti (the local dialect). Twice he accompanied
us to the homes of some young boys whom we suspected were
involved in the incident. He met us at the police station to
file a report with the authorities and again the next day
for an interview with the police inspector in charge of the
area.
We soon learned that Bernard was highly educated and
articulate. I asked him to tell me of his goals in life. To
my surprise he answered: "I want to be like you." "Like me?"
I responded, "What is it about me that you want to emulate?"
thinking that perhaps it was my remarkably long and
beautiful forehead. "I want to be a missionary like you," he
said. "Are you a member of the Church?" I asked. "No," he
replied, "but I would like to be."
In that Sister Turner and I were scheduled to be out of town
the next Sunday and that we seldom attend the same branch or
ward any two Sundays in a row, I asked Bernard if he would
like to attend Church with a couple of friends of mine. He
said he would. I made a quick on the spot cell phone call to
the mission zone leader and explained that I had a referral
waiting to talk to him at that very moment. I handed the
phone to Bernard and listened as the appointment was made.
After attending Church and subsequent gospel discussions,
Bernard was baptized Saturday, October 17, 2009. Great is
our joy!
--Elder Turner
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a heartwarming story. Truly, good things can and do come from bad experiences! God bless and keep you til you return home...
Hey Frank, Tonight at about 7:15, Pacific Time, you baptised me 40 years ago. I hope I have made you proud. We are impatiently waiting for our last son's, Matthew, mission call. It has been issued but we are still waiting for the mail after the holiday delays. He will be our 9th missionary. When he gets back in 2 years, Dianne and I intend to go. We cannot wait to hear your story after you return. I love you and Karma, Rick
Post a Comment