Friday, February 13, 2009

Baking Tricks and Tricky Produce Boys

With the last bunch of bananas being so ripe, I had to make banana bread. However, there was too much batter for my two bread pans. Because the oven doesn't work that well, I knew that it would take forever for them to bake. I decided instead to put the batter in an oblong glass cake pan. At that, it still took almost two hours for the knife to come out clean. But it made a nice and really good cake. I had purchased a package of cream cheese that was reduced to $6.00 (!!) and with it and some powdered sugar, I made the best frosting! I think I gained a pound last week! We shared it with the sisters twice and served it for dinner with the President and his wife for family home evening as well as eating it ourselves.

Today I think I will make chocolate chip cookies. We are going with the Sabeys tomorrow on an hour and a half drive to set apart a new missionary. Then we'll go in almost the same direction but up the coast to a meeting in the afternoon with the branch leaders and a man from Accra for some training. I suggested that maybe we could have lunch at our house inbetween the meetings, since our house is central to both places. Last night Sister Sabey went to dinner with us since President was out of town for the night. We had a good meal at a resturant overlooking the ocean. It was cool but humid and she seemed to be glad to go with us and not be alone in her big home. She says she feels safe because of the all night guards at the gate but there are still noses, etc.

I am waiting for the tomato boy to come this morning. He came in the evening earlier in the week wanting money for something he needed in school. Last week it was the onion boy! Word gets around. I didn't just give him money free. I told him that on Saturday he would bring me onions for the money that I had given him. So last Saturday, he gave me the four onions that we agreed on plus another small package. I asked Kennedy, the tomato boy, if I gave him $3 (that was my limit--he asked for $10) what would he give me in return. He agreed to ten tomatoes--large and good ones. So I said o.k. I usually have to pay him fifty pesuas ($0.50) a tomato so it isn't a bargain for me. But, I am curious to see what he brings me, if he brings me any at all.

Kennedy has asked us before to pay for his schooling but we refused. We were told not to do things like that. He like to bring up to that another couple has been paying for his schooling and implies that we should keep up with them in the giving department. We just tell him we can't do that. These kids know how to work you and try to play on your sympathy. They aren't always honest but it is hard to call them on it. I just want to be their friend and set a good example by being friendly.

-Sister Turner

No comments: